Maintaining Your Home
There are a few tasks you’ll want to do regularly to make sure your home is running in tip-top shape after closing. Of course, each home is different, but hopefully this is a helpful guide!
- Clean your dishwasher filter – This helps ensure your dishwasher is actually getting your dishes clean & won’t break in the future. This video is helpful! Warning — this can be kind of gross the first time you clean it, but if you’re cleaning it regularly, it’s a breeze.
- Clean your garbage disposal – You’ll want to clean your garbage disposal every so often to ensure it’s not a breeding ground for bacteria or mold.
- Change your air filters – This helps ensure your HVAC isn’t working harder than it needs to by blowing through a dirty filter. We like these! Order them on Amazon for auto-delivery (make sure you have the right size for your home) & you’ll never forget.
- Clean your washing machine – Especially if you have a front-loader with a rubber seal, you’ll want to make sure you clean this machine to prevent any mold or bacteria growth.
- HVAC servicing & tune-up – Many HVAC service providers have a service plan that includes an air conditioning tuneup in the spring & a heating tuneup in the fall. We like Chicago HVAC Repair Doctor!
- Replace your humidifier water pad – we like these! Make sure you have the right size for your home.
- Exterior window washing – this is recommended each year.
- Upholstery & carpet cleaning – this is recommended each year. We like Chicago Couch Cleaning!
- Clean your dryer vent – this is recommended every 1-2 years. Dryer vents accumulate flammable lint & can lead to dryer fires. They can also burn out the heating element & break your dryer. You can DIY or hire a professional.
- Air duct cleaning – this is recommended every 3-5 years. If you do any major renovations, it’s a good idea to get this cleaned to remove construction dust.
Next Up » Refinancing Your Home